The Most Important Task On Your To-Do List Today
“Have a beer”.
Or something just like that. The idea comes from Matthew McConaughey in an interview he did on Leno or Conan (can’t remember which). It’s not the absolute most important task on the list. But it’s just as important as all the rest.
On Your Own Terms
Making a commitment to stop and smell the roses can be difficult. It’s an exercise in living on your own terms. In setting the rules. In balance. And it’s not just a good idea, or a fun idea. It’s a critical leadership skill.
Rather than just following tasks that have to be done, you’re defining them. And you’re making the time to take care of all your best assets; family, friends, your health. When all those things are good, they don’t distract you from the serious tasks on your list.
Most of the time they’re simple things like have a beer. Go for a run. Play the guitar. They’re things we never seem to have time for. And need to make the time for.
For any idea to be worth something, there has to be some real benefits to it. There are plenty here:
- Burn-out control. Every battery needs recharging
- You can bring in new and fresh perspectives on difficult problems
- It forces you to delegate, lead and direct rather than just doing everything yourself
- Quality of life and authoritive leadership go hand in hand
- There are more opportunities in a wider picture
On your own terms … it’s a bold way to look at things. Just like I like it.
So what’s the most important task on your to-do list today?