Riding The Big Swing Of Success
A lot of new entrepreneurs start out with one goal … to make that big “lottery ticket” sale that will instantly rocket them onto easy street.
It’s about as easy to do as winning the lottery.
We all hear about the successful business-lottery winners. No one hears about the thousands of businesses that fail to grab the big brass ring and fall flat.
The smart play is to do the hard work and get every good, solid sale you can in the beginning. And the swing between no sales and a handful of small ones is bigger than most people realize.
Getting told “No” a hundred times just to get 10 sales is a little discouraging. Especially when you’re first starting out. That’s probably one of the reasons people like to go after the big, big sale. So they don’t have to go through that as much.
There’s nothing wrong with going after a huge contract as long as you have the resources to handle it. But most of the time, a customer that can give you huge business has enough experience to know that they want to work with someone who also has a proven track record and can deliver the goods.
That’s why it’s so tough for new companies to win that big lottery sale.
So the advantage of getting those first small sales is to prove yourself and your business to those bigger clients. To create a successful track record. You’re creating a little bit of success, that you can then leverage into a lot of success.
Nothing creates huge success like the seed from a little bit of success.
The Advantage Of Some Over None
There are some other big advantages of going out and getting those small sales too:
- You create momentum and motivation within your company
- You’re creating a group of satisfied customers, and word-of-mouth advertising is second to none
- You’re bringing in a little bit of cash to pay the bills
- Every single sale you make is one your competition doesn’t. This is the big swing because dollar-for-dollar, you grow a little stronger and they get a little weaker
- If you’re looking for investors and you have a proven sales record, they’ll line up and throw money at you based on your numbers alone
Start small and steadily grow larger. One morning you’ll wake up and realize that just a few months ago … you won the lottery.